Cost of a Segway
Although Segways come in a wide variety of models, the term widely refers to the two-wheeled electric personal transporter (PT). Segways have become quite popular over the past few years- especially because of their ease of use and versatility. The Segway uses innovative technology for steering and stability that allows the driver to accelerate and brake simply by leaning on a handle at the front. They can be purchased or rented for tours. So, what’s the cost of a Segway?
Did you recently participate in a segway tour, and now would like to own one yourself? This post highlights the typical costs of purchasing or hiring a Segway. It also includes additional costs for using a Segway as well as what you can expect to pay for add-ons.
A brand-new Segway will set you back from $6000 up depending on the model and where you buy it. Add ons such as fenders, those that are long-range, or segways that are faster can also cost more. You can also rent or take tours on Segways in most cities. They can also be rented for special occasions such as festivals, or by businesses.
What Should Be Included
- Less expensive Segways models include the machine but may not include a footpad or front basket.
- Some expensive models often include a taillight, mats for the driver’s platform, bags that attach to the handlebars and are often designed to travel farther on a single charge. Specialized and custom Segways such as those outfitted to carry golf bags or fitted with seats are more expensive. Custom Segways can include trailers, hitches, skid plates and more.
- Rental and individual tours will often include a 10-40-minute instructional session and helmets for safety.
- Purchased Segways often include rechargeable batteries and a wireless key as well as an alarm system.
- If you want to purchase a headlight and taillight for your Segway, expect to spend about $164. Alternatively, you can use a bicycle headlight, which would cost anywhere from $9-$100. Depending on the Segway model you choose, lights may be a manufacturer add-on.
- A helmet can cost $15-$70.
- A parking stand costs $65 from Segway. The stand can also be included depending on the model or purchased as an add-on.
- Second-hand Segways go for about $2000 and increase based on the add-ons and condition of the machine.
- If you’re looking for a discount, some Segway dealers offer great discounts so do your due diligence.
- So, if you’re shopping for a Segway you visit trade shows for new and used Segways as well as tours.
Now that you have a better understanding of the cost of a Segway, you can go ahead and purchase or rent one for yourself. Prices will obviously differ from one state to another, but if you do your research you should be able to get one for a good deal.